Wednesday, December 15, 2010

December 14th, 2010

Chuck, our farrier, trimmed six horses today. He specializes in natural hoof care (http://www.runningbarehoofcare.com/) and has done a fabulous job with some of our most difficult feet. Dunny, for instance, could hardly walk when he arrived at Hytyme, and now he's able to run and play with the rest of the herd.  Dallas had major foot pain, but she is improving with Chuck's help. Also, Chuck is working with Maverick, who has a club foot. Sam helped hold horses while they had their hooves trimmed, as did Lisa, a new volunteer.

A note from Jim:

We are very similar to other people, businesses,  establishments, etc.  This economy has taken its toll on many of you and us here at Hytyme .  Sometimes it is really depressing to keep this thing going, but there is one sure cure, and it would work for you, too.  Every evening just before dusk I go out and feed the horses in the two big fields.  A big 650 pound round bale all rolled out and ready for them.  Rolled out, its about 150 feet long so the horses are kind of spread in a line eating.  I turn off the tractor and go talk to the horses.  They can't understand what I'm saying but I know they like me and appreciate what we've done for them.  Wish I was better with words.  The feeling is kind of spiritual.  Have had that feeling since we started this rescue over five years ago.  It makes me feel better and gets me ready for the next day.  After feeding there is always a smile on my face, and I normally have a good story to tell from my feeding experience.  Today, Peanut Butter Boy was walking right behind me as I was rolling the hay out.  His nose was actually against my back, but he wasn't pushing.  Kind of cool.  If things are down for you and you want to feel better show up here around 3:30 pm and I'll give you a free tractor ride and let you meet about 45 individuals who can help you.  One thing for sure, you will have a smile on your face when you leave.

One other note.  Justin, the owner of Shanu passed away two days ago.  I only met him once.  He came out here with Michelle for about a half day a few weeks ago.  You could tell he was very ill, but I think he gave carrots to every horse on this place.  It was a nice day for him and he loved being with the horses.  Especially his beloved Shanu.  Justin, we miss you.  Thanks for helping the horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment